Did you know?
St. Lawrence Central High
St. Lawrence, Newfoundland
By: Shamina and Holly (Grade 9)
- Wolves will often go days without food, but can then eat up to 100
pounds of meat at a time.
- Food is so scarce in the arctic that no part of the prey is wasted;
a wolf will eat every part of an arctic hare, including the skin, fur and
- Several of the younger pack members will watch the cubs while the
mother wolf is hunting.
- A wolf can see and smell a deer more than a mile away.
- A wolf has 42 teeth, including four fangs at the front of the
mouth that are used to wound, grab and kill prey.
- Most adult wolves weigh from 75 to 120 pounds.
- Social status in a pack is expressed by a complex "language" of
gestures, barks and growls. High-ranking wolves constantly assert their
position, making lesser members cringe or lie on their backs in
Now You Know.